Problems can arise when a period of stress is prolonged, affecting the thyroid as well as the adrenals. Because both glands impact major metabolic processes, negative effects can be far-reaching.
As stress continues unrelieved, the normal functions of your adrenals are put on hold, and their ability to keep up with your need for stress and steroid hormones is eventually depleted. Adrenal fatigue may set in, causing exhaustion, a weakened immune system, weight gain, low blood pressure, allergies, anxiety, depression, insomnia and more. At the same time, less cortisol impedes your ability to produce thyroid hormones, so you may develop hypothyroidism, which also results in weight gain, severe fatigue and many other health problems.
Often, treating thyroid problems also requires addressing adrenal glands issues. To ensure a thorough assessment of adrenal and thyroid functioning, this blood panel tests for the adrenal hormones cortisol, testosterone, oestradiol and DHEA-S, as well as the thyroid hormones TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) and FT4 (free thyroxine).
- This blood test is not available as a ‘finger prick’ option
- Your postal kit includes a professional vacutainer kit with instructions for a blood draw plus return postage envelope
- Please refer to the specific instructions in your pack
- No Fasting not required
- 8am-10am sample recommended
- Results have a Turn Around Time of 2-3 working days (or less) and results will be delivered to you by email